Like virtually every BMW ever made, the A90 chassis of the Toyota Supra has McPherson strut front suspension design, which has almost no camber adjustment from the factory. These Mark 5 generation Supras need more front negative camber to allow them to be driven on a road course or in an autocross event without shredding the outside shoulders of the front tires. After track driving the Supra in stock form in January of 2020 we immediately began development of our camber plate for this chassis - for both the OEM springs (a different entry) as well as this version for use with coil overs.
This model introduced a whole new array of "challenges" with an all new factory strut top mount design. The spring diameter is very large, and the integrated nature of the top mount + upper spring perch made for a very short stack-up height. We knew immediately that we would have to go back to the drawing board for this top mount design. We ended up building one of the oddest main plates we've ever used in any pair of Vorshlag top mounts - more material, more machine time - but it was worth it in the end.
This unusual design shape is unique to the new "G20" BMW (2019+3/4 series) chassis and the Z4/Mk5 Supra, which are based off of that. We took careful measurements of the OEM supra top mount (below left) to create the camber plate + OEM style spring perch option to maintain the exact same "stack up height", to neither raise nor lower the ride height.
The tight constraints of the A90 factory strut tower and large diameter of the OEM spring limit total camber travel when OEM diameter springs are used. Our test car went from -1.5 deg of camber stock to -2.5 degrees - which is still a worthwhile gain. Moving to a coilover spring / strut combo allows for considerably more camber travel, due to the smaller diameter of the various coilover spring (2.25", 60mm, 2.5") vs the OEM spring (approx 120 mm). We sell a A90 OEM camber plate version in another category within the Supra Suspension section. Converting this Coilover style design to work with OEM perches can be done, but it will require changing more than just the perches.
To adjust the camber is simple - with the rubber covers (aka: Tupperware) out of the way, you can see the 4 Socket Head (Allen head) bolts that secure the special bearing holder within the camber plate assembly.
With the suspension lifted to remove pre-load from the top mount, loosen these 4 Allen head bolts (with a 1/4" or 6mm hex key wrench) and slide the top of the wheel inboard (negative) or outboard (positive) to alter the camber setting.
Track side adjustment is easy, and our over-sized spherical bearings are designed to withstand the rigors of street and track abuse. The large sealed radial bearing allows the spring perch to rotate instead of relying on the spherical to spin within the bearing holder (which would wear it out quickly - like most competing designs). All of our components are plated for maximum corrosion resistance and long life. Read more about the engineering behind our camber plates here.
- Compatible with most coilover strut brands for the A90 Supra / Z4
- Works with 2.25", 60mm, or 2.5" ID coilover springs (please specify in options)
- Installs with hand tools and an impact gun, no chassis modifications required.
- Camber is easily adjustable at the track with simple hand tools (1/4" hex wrench sold separately in this car's Suspension section)
- The spherical bearing used in the Vorshlag camber plate is the largest used in any BMW camber plate on the market. The result has much better durability and wear characteristics than the undersized bearings used in our competitors' plates.
- Aluminum alloy main plate and steel alloy bearing holder construction - Tough as a tank!
- Sealed radial ball bearings isolate steering movement from spherical bearing.
- All components machined in-house at Vorshlag on our CNC machines
- All components plated or anodized for maximum corrosion resistance and long life.
- Can also be converted to use with OEM style springs (but it is easier to start with the OEM camber plate entry in this car's Suspension section)
- Vorshlag upper spring perches are included and built to fit the three popular spring diameter sizes 2.25", 60mm, or 2.5" inner diameter
Spring Perches: This catalog entry is for use with coilover struts and you need to know what diameter springs you have on your aftermarket coilovers. Vorshlag upper perches are color coded to denote the size, as shown above. We have another entry in this A90 Suspension section for use with OEM sizes springs.
The default configuration will include double row, sealed radial bearings in the perches. We also have a 5mm shorter single row radial bearing for use in race cars where every mm of travel is critical. Call us for that option.
Strut Style: Please pick the brand and type of strut your car has.
If the brand of your strut isn't shown in the options, feel free to call us. Anytime a new chassis hits the track, the aftermarket has to play catch up. With new suspensions being released we need your help to ensure that new camber plates are being configured correctly. For us that means we need to know the dimensions of the struts your using to build up a database, as we've done in the past with all the other camber plates we offer. Please look at the photo below, this is an example of exactly what dimensions we are looking for. If you are still not sure please contact us!
Please go to our A90 Supra camber plate installation instruction gallery. It applies to both the coilover and OEM style versions.