Vorshlag's US-built M12-1.5 x 75mm long Competition wheel studs are extremely popular with the BMW Pro racers, track enthusiasts and autocrossers alike. When used in conjunction with our M12-1.5 lug nuts, these studs are made to fit in place of the factory wheel bolts, and make wheel changes a breeze instead of a chore... Remember having to hold the wheel on the hub, line up the holes, get a bolt started, holding everything just so... what a hassle. You think this would cut it in a race pit stop? Screw-in wheel studs stay in the hubs (red loctite) so you just slide the wheel on, lining up the holes with the studs quickly, then the studs hold the wheel in place so you can start the lug nuts quickly. With our rounded "bullet nose" feature on these studs you can just slip the nuts on and zing them in place with an air gun. Since you are not screwing a wheel bolt in-out of the (expensive to replace) hubs at every wheel change the threads in the hub hole last a lot longer, too.
These screw-in wheel studs can be used on any car that uses an M12 wheel bolt from the factory - (most) BMWs, (some) MINI, and all Lotus cars, to name a few. These 75 mm length studs will work with up to 12mm hub-centric spacers, or no spacer at all. This catalog entry is for A SINGLE WHEEL STUD ONLY.
Why use wheel studs instead of wheel bolts? Several reasons:
- Wheel studs are required by many racing bodies - because they are a better, safer way to ensure proper wheel engagement.
- Wheel studs are safer than wheel bolts because you can SEE when the stud is engaging the lug nut completely - a longer wheel stud sticks through the lug nut. A wheel bolt? Its a mystery... only way to know if is engaging the wheel hub completely is to remove it and count the threads when installing
These 75mm wheel studs allow the use of a variety of hub-centric wheel spacers (up to 12mm thick), or no spacers at all. Longer wheel bolts have to be tailor made to a custom length to each wheel spacer width.
- Wheel studs stay engaged into the hub for their entire life cycle. The repetitive installation and removal of wheel bolts can cause accelerated wear on the threaded holes on the (expensive replace) wheel hubs.
- Installing wheels using wheel studs is considerably easier than when using wheel bolts, as the studs will locate the wheel while the nuts are being fastened.
- Our Competition wheel studs have an unthreaded bullet nose that acts as a "speed start", allowing faster lug nut installation and faster pit stops.
Our high quality Italian made M12-1.5 thread 60° seat lug nuts are sold separately. Wheel stud installation kits are sold separately (Red Thread locker + Anti-Seize + 5.5mm Allen wrench for installation). The Vorshlag Competition Studs are black zinc phosphate plated for corrosion protection and long service life.
Specifics on the Vorshlag Competition 75mm Wheel Stud:
- Proudly Made in the USA. Built to Vorshlag material/heat treat specifications and Vorshlag drawings by an American manufacturer that specializes in high end fasteners.
- Material: 30MnB3
- Heat Treatment: Hardened and tempered to 10.9 class
- Tensile Strength: 150,000 psi (this is by design - a higher tensile strenth is more brittle and less ductile)
- Hardness HV: min 320, max 380
- Elongation after breakage: 9% min. (this is good - and why we use 150,000 psi material and heat treatment)
- Max Torque for Lug Nuts: 180Nm (132 lb-ft) - recommended torque on BMW lug nuts (NOT the stud during install) using anti-seize is 80 lb-ft
- Coating: black zinc phosphate plating to 12 micron thickness, min.
- Available in two lengths: 75mm and 90 mm long.
- Ends have special "quick start" rounded nose with 10mm unthreaded section. Allows the quick starting of lug nuts onto studs.
- Broached female 5.5mm hex, for ease of installation (using 5.5mm or 7/32" Allen wrench, sold separately).
- Install using Red Threadlocker (Loctite 262 or equivalent) to secure the studs to the wheel hub.
- Studs are made with M12x1.5 threads. M12x1.5 Lug Nuts are also available in your choice of OEM black or chrome.
Install studs into hubs with Loctite and torque until they bottom out onto the shoulder. Do not torque into hubs beyond 30 lb-ft. Torque lugs onto the studs with 80 lb-ft, using a light coating of anti-seize lubricant on the stud's threads.
Note: READ AND FOLLOW INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS. These can be found on the vorshlag.com page labeled "Instructions", which is linked at the top of every page within our website. A full picture gallery with detailed installation instructions can also be found here.