Powerbrake X4EM Big Brake Upgrade
Powerbrake designs and manufactures high-performance and motorsports level brake components that offer exceptional performance and durability at surprisingly competitive prices. This is made possible through state of the art CAD, FEA and CAM software as well as cutting edge 5-axis CNC production equipment that results in design and production efficiency that gets passed on to customers and ultimately translates into competitive product pricing.
Powerbrake's base of operations is South Africa, and Vorshlag has worked with this company since they first brought their products to the U.S.A. We tested Powerbrake's upgrade kits on our own street and race cars before we felt confident to sell them - we now trust our brakes to Powerbrake! These calipers will not fit under stock wheels. Download a wheel fitment template HERE.
There are many advantages of the X4EM 4 piston brake kit for the S197. We often see that with motorsports grade components your cost per lap will go down. True racing calipers look after the pads and rotors better than the OEM calipers with track pads. This means you will often see drastically improved brake performance, with less wear, for a longer period of time. Another great benefit is a reduction in unsprung weight. Installing this brake system will shave over 9 lbs when switching from a Brembo equipped car and over 10 lbs from the standard brakes :
- 05-14 Base 2 Piston calipers with pads = 14.10 lbs
- 07-14 Brembo 4 Piston calipers with pads = 13.71 lbs
- Powerbrake X4EM 4 Piston calipers with pads = 10.44 lbs
- 07-14 14" Rotors = 25 lbs
- Powerbrake 350x34mm Rotors = 23.60 lbs
This kit Includes:
- Radial mount Powerbrake X-Line X4EM (Medium) 4-piston calipers, hard anodized grey
- Powerbrake billet aluminum caliper mounting brackets
- Powerbrake 2-piece 350x34mm rotors with aluminum hats (assembled), fully coated
- Powerbrake stainless braided Teflon lined brake flex lines + copper washers
- Caliper mounting hardware and pad mounting pins and clips
- Uses FMSI D810 / D968 pad profile. Brake pads are not included!
- Brake pads are available from Powerbrake and a number of other companies. Please call Vorshlag for brake pad selection help.
- More top level info on Powerbrake here
- More info on the X4EM brake kit here
The disc friction rings used in Powerbrake X-Line assemblies are cast from a proprietary high-carbon iron alloy, cast in Europe, that provides excellent durability and stability under the high thermal loads experienced during race, track day & fast road driving.
The X-line discs feature curved, directional, staggered cooling vane design that increases cooling vane surface area for optimal cooling. The included 5 color Maximum Temperature Recording (MTR) rotor paint provides a permanent record of the peak operating temperatures reached by the rotors during use. The colors equate to:
- Blue paint – turns light brown at 527 deg F
- Green paint – turns white at 860 deg F
- Orange paint – turns yellow at 1022 deg F
- Red / Pink paint – turns white at 1166 deg F
- Wide Red paint strip – various shades from 219 – 2318 deg F
NO BRAKE PADS ARE INCLUDED IN THIS KIT
This Powerbrake X-line brake upgrade does not include pads - to allow you to choose the brake pad supplier you are comfortable with. Some folks like to stick with what they know, and that is why the common FMSI D810 / D968 pad profile was used for this caliper - many pad suppliers make this common pad shape. You can see part numbers for this pad from several brake pad manufacturers in the drawing below.
Powerbrake also offers a range of brake pads to fit the X4EM caliper, which cover all types of street, dual purpose, and racing uses. Please see the brake pad options for the Powerbrake X4EM caliper in this "Brakes" section. Feel free to call Vorshlag for pad brand and compound advice.